The Forst Inn - A Century and A Half of History
The Forst Inn was established in the early years of Tisch Mills around 1868. A Vaclav Forst was among the bohemian settlers that arrived in the area in the 1850s, and it is possible that he was among those who established the Forst Hotel and Saloon. At that time, there was a brewery and the resulting beverages were served at The Forst Inn as well as at saloons owned by Joseph Lodel, Frank Urbanek and Frank Pivonka. It was the management of Wenzel and Mary from 1898 through 1930 that fully established the popularity and notoriety of the inn. It was referred to variously as the the Forst Hotel and Forst Hall during much of this time. The original building was constructed in 1868 and was rebuilt after some hazard in 1892.
Article: Tisch Mills History
Mary and Wenzel were married in 1898 and had six daughters during the first eleven years of their marriage. The daughters were, in birth order, Florence, Alvina, Helen, Frances, Ann, and Leona. After Mary's death in 1937, Frances assumed management of the Inn along with her husband, Alvin. After Alvin's death in 1949, Frances continued to run the bar until she sold it to Ron Kaminski in 1990. Frances died in 1994 and is fondly remembered by current residents of Tisch Mills.
The Forst Inn Hall advertised in the Herald Times frequently during the early twentieth century. This ad was typical of those found in 1924 and 1925 and links to an article from 1976 that describes the music scene in the area during that time.
Ron Kaminski purchased The Forst Inn in 1990 and moved his Little Sandwich Theatre, which had previously performed in The Sting in Manitowoc. Ron converted the dance hall to a cabaret theatre, beginning a period of energetic theatrical productions at The Forst Inn. The Little Sandwich Theatre was a popular destination in the 1990s and was celebrated when it hit its twenty year anniversary in 2002 at which time it had produced for ten years in Manitowoc and for ten years at the Forst Inn.